What is the English test score required to Study in Australia?
Your required level of English language proficiency will vary depending on your desired institution and level of study, your country of citizenship and whether you plan to complete an ELICOS course upon arrival in Australia. For student visa applications, the table below outlines the scores accepted for each program. Though each University or institute will have their own benchmark score for their respective courses.
English language exemptions/ IELTS waiver:
If one of the following applies, you do not need to provide evidence of an English test score with your visa application:
- you are enrolled in full-time school studies as a principal course including in a secondary exchange programme, a postgraduate research course, a stand alone English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS), and Foreign Affairs or Defence sponsored students
- you have completed at least five years’ study in one or more of the following countries: Australia, UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland
- you are a citizen and hold a passport from UK, USA, Canada, NZ or Republic of Ireland
- in the two years before applying for the student visa, you completed, in Australia and in the English language, either the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education or a substantial component of a course leading to a qualification from the Australian Qualifications Framework at the Certificate IV or higher level, while you held a student visa.
What English language tests are accepted in Australia?
There are five English language tests accepted for student visa applications in Australia:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) internet-based test (paper-based test is accepted from limited countries)
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
- Occupational English Test (OET).
It’s important to remember that for results to be accepted, the test must have been completed no more than two years before the application is made. For more information about the different tests, see English proficiency tests.
What is the minimum test score required?
Your required level of English language proficiency will vary depending on your desired institution and level of study, your country of citizenship and whether you plan to complete an ELICOS course upon arrival in Australia. For student visa applications, the table below outlines the minimum scores accepted for each test.
Minimum scores vary considerably between institutions and levels of study, so it’s best to check with individual providers before you apply. Certain courses, such as nursing, education or law programs, tend to have stricter requirements, while requirements for Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses are usually lower. If you don’t meet English language requirements, you may consider completing an ELICOS program to improve your English language skills.
IELTS Requirement for Top Universities in Australia
- Macquarie University
The minimum IELTS band score requirement for Macquarie University is 6.5, with a 6.0 in each element. However, many undergraduate and postgraduate courses have their own special IELTS requirements. To see the IELTS score you’ll need, go to Macquarie University’s English language requirements page and check the dropdown men us labelled “standard English requirements” and “special English requirements.”
- University of Wollongong
university of wollongong IELTS requirement for top universities in Australia University of Wollongong has no general IELTS requirement. You need to find your course and then click “international students” at the bottom to learn the specific IELTS requirement.
- University of New South Wales
The standard IELTS requirement for undergraduate and graduate programs is an overall score of 6.5 and at least 6.0 in each element. However, there are many exceptions. To give just a few examples: Undergraduate pre-law and business programs require a 7.0 whole-test score, and at least 6.0 in each element. Master of Teaching (Secondary) requires an overall score of 7.5 and at least 8.0 in speaking and listening, 7.0 in reading and writing. Master and combined PhD/Master program of Psychology (Clinical, Forensic & Organisational) require an overall score of 7.0 and a minimum score of 7.0 in each element. To see all of the exceptions to this school’s primary IELTS standards, see this detailed breakdown of the University of New South Wales’ English language requirements.
- University of Western Australia
university of western australia IELTS requirement for top universities in Australia UWA requires a minimum overall score of 6.5 and at least 6.0 in each part. Some master’s and doctorate degrees require a higher score. Check out the official IELTS requirement list.